Aci Bonaccorsi (CT): A commune of Sicily, in the province of Catania.
Former Names (if any): (Sic.: Jaci Bonaccossi) anc. Xiphonia.
Region: Sicily │ Province: Catania.
Coordinates: Lat. 37° 35′ 55″ N/Long. 15° 6′ 31″ E.
Location/Setting: Located 13 km N of Catania. It is situated in a coastal, hilly area, on the SE slope of Mt. Etna. Part of the Regione Agraria n. 7 – Colline litoranee di Acireale.
Alt.: 365 m.
Area: 1.70 km².
Population: 2,752 (2006e).
Pop. Density: /km².
Frazioni & Localities:
Tel. Prefix: 095
Name of Inhabitants: Bonaccorsesi.
Patron Saint(s): Santo Stefano. Feast Day: Aug. 3.
Economy: Blessed with a rich volcanic soil, the interior portion of the commune is given over principally to vineyards. The coastal area, on the other hand, is devoted to the cultivation of citrus (particularly summer lemons), grapes, almonds, olives, and vegetables. In those areas not suitable to agriculture, livestock breeding, centering on goats, horses and cattle, predominates. Manufacturing of clothing and wood products (furniture) is also important to the economy. The commune produces some notable cheeses.
History: Aci Bonaccorsi had its beginnings in four neighboring hamlets, Pauloti (Paoli), Leonii (Leoni), Battiati and Bonaccorsi, founded in medieval times (c1170) on land (district of Bonaccorsi). It does not appear in historical documents, however, until the middle of the 16th century. A fief of the princes of Campofiorito during the 13th and 14th centuries, it was part of the territory of Aci, and later passed under the control of the Genoese Diana family. In 1625, the latter received the title of Marquis of Aci Bonaccorsi. In 1760, the town’s lord was Giuseppe Nicolò Diana, Duke of Cefalù. It continued to be part of this family’s possessions until the abolition of feudalism in the early 19th century.
Damage was suffered from an eruption of Mt. Etna in 1444 and from earthquakes in 1693, 1818, 1911, 1947, 1968, and 1990.
Points of Interest:
Monuments: There is also a notable fountain (Fontana Castello) in the main piazza of the commune. Constructed of lava stone in 1952 by the Sicilian sculptor S. Contarino, it is decorated with high-relief work showing the Scogli dei Ciclopi.
Churches (& other religious sites): The principal monument is the Mother Church of S. Maria della Consolazione, whose interior is decorated by some fine 18th century frescoes.
International Festival of the Fuochi d’artificio (Fires of Artiface)- Aug. 2.
Glorification of the patron saint S. Stefano- Aug 3.
Sagra della Ricotta (ricotta cheese festival)
Plants and Flowers Exhibit- April and May.